A checklist of questions to answer before you choose
Appearance and Facilities
- The place doesn’t have to be new, but is it well-maintained inside and out?
- Is the décor pleasing and warm?
- Is the facility free from odors?
- Have the residents personalized their rooms?
- Do the bedrooms have windows?
- Do all rooms have bathrooms?
- Are shared tub and shower facilities close to bedrooms?
- How many residents share each one?
- Is there sufficient space in the resident lounge areas?
- Are residents enjoying the leisure equipment?
- Is there a place for private visits?
- Does a registered dietician or professional service plan all meals?
- Are meals nutritious and appealing with substitutes available?
- Is the kitchen clean and orderly?
- Is hot food served hot and cold food served cold?
- Do the residents seem to be enjoying themselves in the dining room?
- Are residents who need assistance promptly helped?
- Are there individual and group activities?
- Is there an activities calendar and is it posted?
- Are arts and crafts offered?
- Is there a program of physical fitness for residents who are able to participate?
- Are residents doing something other than watching television when you visit?
- What are the last five outings residents took?
- Is there a special needs-equipped facilities van?
- Is a physician available for emergencies?
- Who is the facility’s pharmacy? Can residents use their own?
- Does the facility provide in-house physical, occupational, and speech therapy?
- Are therapists licensed?
- Do the same therapists come every day?
- Is there a variety of well-maintained therapy equipment?
- Is there a social services department?
- Is the resident council active?
- What volunteer organizations are regularly involved with residents?
- Are there religious services?
- What are visiting hours?
- Are licensed and inspection reports current?